MMO2188 - Post-medieval mounds on Shoulsbarrow Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A number of small circular, stony mounds of probable post-medieval date are visible on the eastern edge of Shoulsbarrow Common, Challacombe. Centred at approximately SS 7158 4017 and extending over an area of up to 4 hectares, the mounds measure no more than 3 metres across and are randomly distributed. A quarry is shown 250 metres to the north west on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and it seems likely that these stones represented spoil or debris from this activity. However, they may also be related to field clearance, or peat cutting in the area, particularly on Shoulsbarrow Common. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4104-05 (19 May 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #32895 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7158 4024 (323m by 373m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470958 (Pastscape entry: 1470958)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW219
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470958
Record last edited
Feb 10 2021 2:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.