MMO2185 - Post-medieval quarry on eastern edge of South Regis Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
An "Old Quarry" is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] A post-medieval quarry or extractive pit with associated spoil heap is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs on the eastern edge of South Regis Common, Challacombe. Located at approximately SS 7135 4051, the quarry itself measures 34 metres long, and varies in width between 5 and 20 metres. Two amorphous mounds on either side of the quarry would appear to be spoil heaps. The feature is annotated "Old Quarry" on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was abandoned some time prior to publication in 1889. It is not clear what was being quarried in this area, but it may well have been building stone or limestone for the Knight family's improvements at Pinkery and Driver Farms to the west during the mid 19th Century. [1,3,4]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3146-48 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7134 4051 (43m by 43m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470908 (Pastscape entry: 1470908)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 66729
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/133
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21802
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW216
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470908
Record last edited
Mar 28 2018 11:21AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.