MMO2184 - Bronze Age barrow or burial cairn north of Shoulsbarrow Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A sub rectangular mound is visible on aerial photographs on moorland north of Shoulsbarrow Common, Challacombe. Centred at approximately SS 7119 4050 on a steep northwest facing slope above an unnamed tributary of Old Close Bottom, the mound measures approximately 14 metres long by 10 metres wide. Its form and position, on a prominent position close to the summit of Shoulsbarrow Common, indicate that it may be the remains of a Bronze Age funerary monument, possibly a barrow or cairn. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3146-47 (13 May 1946).
- <2>XY SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #43426 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1470904, Extant 19 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7119 4050 (20m by 20m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470904 (Pastscape entry: 1470904)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW215
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1470904
Record last edited
Jan 19 2022 10:01AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.