MMO2179 - Post-medieval quarry and associated trackway southwest of Old Close Quarry (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A probable post-medieval quarry and associated trackway are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks to the south of Old Close Quarry, Challacombe. Located at SS 7052 4066, the quarry is cut into a slight slope and measures approximately 22 metres across at its widest point. A trackway runs approximately east to west for 50 metres from the western edge of the quarry, where the slope is most gentle. The quarry is shown, but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was abandoned prior to publication in 1889. It may represent an attempt to extend Old Close Quarry which did not prove succesful, or quarrying may have begun here before moving north to Old Close. Further examination is required. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 003-004 (12 March 1995).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #32896 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7050 4065 (70m by 33m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470825 (Pastscape entry: 1470825)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW210
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470825
Record last edited
Feb 10 2021 2:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.