MMO2178 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (6)
- BUILDING (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1901 AD to 2000 AD (Unclassified))
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- ENCLOSURE (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1901 AD to 2000 AD (Unclassified))
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- FIELD BARN (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1901 AD to 2000 AD (Unclassified))
- FIELD BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
A ruined building and associated semi-circular enclosure are visible on aerial photographs in fields north of Twitchen Farm, Challacombe. Centred at approximately SS 7003 4160, the building measures approximately 6 metres long by 4 metres wide. A possible entranceway is visible in the south wall. The enclosure faces this entranceway, measuring 20 metres long and 15 metres wide at is widest point. It appears that the entraceway forms a yard or holding area outside the barn. The building is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map; however, the enclosure is not shown. The features most likely represent the remains of a field barn and holding pen or enclosure, probably dating to the post medieval period. It is not clear when the building was abandoned, although it was clearly sometime prior to 1995 (1-3).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 005-006 12-MAR-1995.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/ 1501 4087-88 13-MAY-1946.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1889.
- --- SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7003 4159 (20m by 38m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470820 (Pastscape entry: 1470820)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 66727
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470820
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.