MMO2158 - Medieval or post-medieval hollow way northwest of North Regis Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
A possible medieval or post medieval hollow way or path is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork in fields to the north-west of North Regis Common, Challacombe. Beginning at approximately SS 7057 4191, the path runs roughly north-south downslope towards Yarbury Combe for some 155 metres, before curving slightly to the east, and continuing in a south-easterly direction for 160 metres, where it peters out at approximately SS 7076 4167. The width of the path is fairly constant, ranging from 4 to 6 metres. It is overlain in places by post medieval and 19th century field boundaries, suggesting that it had been abandoned prior to the enclosure of this area. Similarly, it is not depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890. The southern end of the path follows a parallel course to that of the extant pathway, visible on the modern Ordnance Survey maps, which crosses Yarbury Combe and continues towards Challacombe. It may be that this earthwork represents the remains of the original, medieval path, which was moved downstream at a later date (1-3).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 3104-05 19-MAY-1947.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10000 2004.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1890.
- --- SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7066 4179 (212m by 245m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470569 (Pastscape entry: 1470569)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470569
Record last edited
Mar 28 2018 10:16AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.