MMO2125 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries northeast of West Swincombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Several medieval or post-medieval field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks in fields to the northeast of West Swincombe Farm, Challacombe. The first, at SS 6918 4171, runs north to south for approximately 180 metres. Parallel to this bank, a second is visible also running north to south and measuring approximately 165 metres. The third bank, at SS 6922 4189, is the shortest, and runs northeast to southwest for 50 metres. All measure approximately two metres wide. The banks are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting they were abandoned prior to this date, but equally they bear no resemblance to the medieval strip lynchets which can be seen in this area (see MDE10871). Their precise date and function remains unclear. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F65) 183-84 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped features: #34760 ; #34761 ; #34762 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6920 4177 (85m by 291m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1468956 (Pastscape entry: 1468956)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE136
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1468956
Record last edited
May 1 2019 4:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.