MMO2124 - Post-medieval leat northwest of West Swinscombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A probable post-medieval leat or water channel is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs in fields to the north and west of West Swincombe Farm, Challacombe. Beginning at approximately SS 6919 4184 and forming a junction with an unnamed stream or combe, the leat runs northeast to southwest following the contours of a south facing valley. Its total length appears to be approximately 640 metres. A direction of flow arrow on the modern Ordnance Survey map shows water flows from northeast to southwest, away from the unnamed stream. The leat is depicted on both the 1st Edition and modern Ordnance Survey map but is clearly man made. It appears to divert water from the unnamed stream which flows through the Swincombe Farms to the surrounding fields. It may have been constructed to supply irrigation for the fields, or drinking water for livestock. It may also have supplied a water meadow system, although no such system is visible. Further study is required. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F65) 183-84 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7725 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2004. 1:10000, 2004. 1:10,000.
- <4>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #33255 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1468950, Extant 15 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6889 4168 (573m by 349m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1468950 (Pastscape entry: 1468950)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE135
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1468950
Record last edited
Nov 15 2021 11:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.