MMO2102 - Possible Bronze Age barrow or cairn north of the Chapman Barrows (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A large mound is visible as a low earthwork on aerial photographs to the north of the Chapman Barrows, Parracombe. Centred at approximately SS 6936 4377 the mound appears as an ovoid swelling close to the corner of the 19th Century enclosures. It measures approximately 24 metres in diameter, but may well have been spread by ploughing. The mound could be the mutilated remains of a Bronze Age barrow or cairn, possibly part of the Chapman Barrow cemetery (see MDE1061). One of the Barrows in the group can be seen approximately 50 metres to the south of this mound. However, due to the apparently poor preservation of this mound, and the fact that it is not visible on aerial photographs taken after 1973, further examination will be required. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4230-31 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73087 665-666 (17 April 1973).
- <3>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #40484 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1468844, Extant 10 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6936 4377 (36m by 36m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1468844 (Original Monarch entry: 1468844)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE114
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1468844
Record last edited
Nov 10 2021 1:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.