MMO2090 - Medieval strip lynchets east of Rowley Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A pair of medieval strip lynchets are visible as earthwork on aerial photographs in a field to the east of Rowley Plantation, Parracombe. Centred at approximately SS 6491 4425, the lynchets run approximately north to south, measuring 160 metres long by 6.5 metres wide. They are similar in size and form to those surrounding the deserted settlement of North Thorne, 2.5 kilometres to the north (and outside the National Park boundary). The relationship between these strip lynchets and the settlement pattern in the area is unclear; however, they may be associated with the deserted settlement of Lower Hollacombe. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F66) 0189-90 (27 April 1964).
- <2>XY SMO7563 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SW. MD002180. [Mapped feature: #33237 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1468397, Extant 15 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6491 4425 (69m by 171m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1468397 (Pastscape entry: 1468397)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SW106
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1468397
Record last edited
Nov 15 2021 10:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.