MMO2056 - Undated field system northeast of Holworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A pair of lynchets is visible on aerial photographs in a field to the north of Higher Holworthy, Parracombe. Centred at approximately SS 6858 4426, the lynchets run approximately east to west, following the contours of the slope. The longer of the two, at SS 6856 4432 measures approximately 155 metres long, while the second, at SS 6856 4423 is substantially shorter at 60 metres long. Both measure approximately 2 to 3 metres wide. The lynchets are similar in size and form to a lynchet recorded as part of a prehistoric enclosure to the north (see MDE10889), and may represent the remains of a prehistoric field system. However, there are also a number of medieval field boundaries in the area (see MMO2054) and there is a possibility that the lynchets are medieval in date. Further examination is required; however, the area has been heavily ploughed and is now under pasture, which may have affected the preservation of the features. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the pilot project for the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer. [3,4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3046-47 (8 November 1952).
- <2>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #43141 ]
- <3> SEM8323 Archive: Historic England. 2016. NRHE to HER prototype website test. 1467805.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1467805, Extant 25 July 2016.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6862 4426 (159m by 137m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1467805 (Pastscape entry: 1467805)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE112
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1467805
Record last edited
May 5 2021 4:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.