MMO2052 - Medieval hollow way east of Higher Holworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A medieval hollow way or trackway is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork in fields to the east of Higher Holworthy, Parracombe. Centred at approximately SS 6884 4405 the hollow way is located on a steep northwest facing valley above the River Heddon. Beginning at SS 6889 4407, the hollow way runs approximately east to west along the contour of the slope for approximately 100 metres, and varies in width from 3 to 6 metres. The central track is flanked on both sides by a narrow bank. Higher Holworthy is shown as an inhabited settlement on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, and the hollow way most likely formed part of the access to the settlement. The field in which the hollow way is located is shown as rough ground and scrub, suggesting that at the time of publication the field was not in use for either arable or pasture. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the pilot project for the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer. [4,5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4060-61 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #43140 ]
- <4> SEM8323 Archive: Historic England. 2016. NRHE to HER prototype website test. 1467281.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1467281, Extant 25 July 2016.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6884 4405 (108m by 56m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1467281 (Pastscape entry: 1467281)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE108
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1467281
Record last edited
May 5 2021 3:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.