MMO2047 - Medieval field system west of Challacombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Several medieval or post-medieval field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks to the west of Challacombe Common. Centred at approximately SS 6740 4241, up to seven banks are visible, apparently forming a system of at least four fields. At SS 6762 4237 a linear boundary runs east to west for approximately 180 metres, where it meets two other boundaries, one running roughly north to south from SS 6742 4250 which measures approximately 137 metres long; and the other curving from the northeast to the south and measuring 105 metres long. The three banks meet at different points, forming a small triangular enclosure between them. West of these three banks, at SS 6730 4249, a linear bank running approximately north to south can be seen. This bank, which is fragmented in places, measures approximately 135 metres long. At SS 6728 4240, the bank branches off to the east, forming a T junction, with the east to west aligned bank measuring 33 metres. Further south of this T junction, at SS 6727 4236, the bank turns 90 degrees and runs east to west for approximately 50 metres before curving slightly to the south. It disappears at approximately SS 6733 4233. Some of the boundaries are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, but the area is shown as rough ground and scrub, indicating that the boundaries were probably not in use at this time. They most likely represent a medieval or early post-medieval attempt to enclose the moor, abandoned shortly before the publication of the 1st Edition map in 1889. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3091 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #33273 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1467254, Extant 10 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6745 4240 (376m by 229m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1467254 (Pastscape entry: 1467254)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE103
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1467254
Record last edited
Nov 10 2021 10:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.