MMO2032 - Post-medieval extractive pit northwest of Challacombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Old quarries are marked on the 6 inch Ordnance Survey maps dating from 1905 and 1963. [1,2] One of three groups of irregular quarried depressions, marked by the Ordnance Survey as "Old Quarries", visible on aerial photographs. [3-5] A post-medieval linear extractive pit or quarry is visible on aerial photographs on Moorland to the northwest of Challacombe Common. Centred at approximately SS 6741 4283, the quarry appears as three separate pits measuring in total approximately 135 metres long and up to 15 metres wide, running northeast to northwest. It does not appear particularly deep and may have been partially backfilled. The quarry is depicted but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting that it was abandoned prior to publication in 1889. The linear form of the quarry suggests that a mineral seam was being followed, but it is not clear what was being extracted at this site. [6-8]
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 6SE.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM 13/123 (May 1977).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3092 (April 1947).
- <5> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6742C.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 888-889 (29 April 1973).
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <8>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #33276 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6742 4283 (143m by 43m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466908 (Pastscape entry: 1466908)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 57190
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/196
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20656
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE88
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1466908
Record last edited
May 20 2019 3:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.