MMO2030 - Post-medieval extractive pits on Rowley Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Old quarries" are shown on the 6 inch 1905 and 1963 Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] Part of a group of six small quarries depressions marked by the Ordnance Survey as "Old Quarries" etc and noted on aerial photographs. [3-5] A series of small post-medieval extractive pits or quarries and associated spoil heaps, arranged in a linear pattern are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of Rowley Down, Parracombe. Centred at approximately SS 6654 4331, six irregularly shaped pits are visible, all of which are apparently flanked by low mounds, presumably spoil heaps from the extraction. The irregular shape of the pits most likely results from individual prospection pits gradually becoming conjoined as they were expanded over time. The linear form of the pits suggests that a mineral seam was being prospected or followed, but the precise nature of the extraction cannot be established from aerial photographs alone. The pits are depicted and annotated as "old quarries" on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, which suggests they had been abandoned some time prior to publication in 1889. They are similar in size and form to quarries 550 metres to the west, recorded under MMO2029. [6-8] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 6SE.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM 13/063 (May 1977).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3093 (April 1947).
- <5> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6642C.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3092-93 (11 April 1947).
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <8>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #33277 ]
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1466905, Extant 9 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6654 4330 (167m by 48m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466905 (Pastscape entry: 1466905)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31580
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/145
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21193
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE87
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1466905
Record last edited
Nov 9 2021 8:54AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.