MMO2029 - Post-medieval extractive pits on Rowley Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Old quarries" are depicted and labelled on Ordnance Survey 6 inch maps dating to 1905 and 1963. [1,2] The features appear to have been transcribed by McDonnell and may have been thought to represent the northern side of the enclosure recorded to the south. [3-4] A series of small post-medieval extractive pits or quarries and associated spoil heaps, arranged in a linear pattern are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of Rowley Down, Parracombe. Centred at approximately SS 6600 4342, at least eight irregularly shaped pits or hollows are visible, with four small mounds nearby, presumably spoil heaps associated with extraction. The linear form suggests that a mineral seam was being prospected or followed, but the precise nature of the extraction cannot be established from aerial photographs alone. The irregular shape of many of the pits most likely results from several smaller pits becoming conjoined over time. The pits are depicted but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, which suggests activity here had ceased some time prior to publication in 1889. [3,5,6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 6SE.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3094-5 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6543A.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <6>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #33278 ]
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1466903, Extant 9 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6598 4343 (167m by 54m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466903 (Pastscape entry: 1466903)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31579
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/146
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21192
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE86
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1466903
Record last edited
Nov 9 2021 8:53AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.