MMO2028 - Post-medieval extractive pit southwest of Rowley Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An "old quarry" is depicted and labelled on Ordnance Survey six inch maps dated 1905 and 1963. [1,2] A large post-medieval extractive pit or quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the southwest of Rowley Cross, Parracombe. Centred at approximately SS 6599 4380 the quarry measures 95 metres long and up to 11 metres wide. It idoes not appear to be particularly deep, and may have been partially backfilled at some point. The linear form of the quarry suggests that a mineral seam was being followed, but it is not clear from aerial photographs alone what was being extracted at this site. The quarry is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and annotated as "old quarry" suggesting that it was abandoned prior to publication in 1889. [3-5]
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 6SE.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3094-95 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #33279 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6600 4380 (106m by 36m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466901 (Pastscape entry: 1466901)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31578
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/147
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21191
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE/85
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1466901
Record last edited
May 20 2019 4:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.