MMO2005 - Post-medieval water meadow around Shoulsbarrow Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow system, is visible on aerial photographs to the west of Shoulsbarrow Farm, Challacombe. Centred at approximately SS 6915 4012, at least four gutters are visible on a fairly gentle west facing slope above an unnamed stream or combe. The gutters vary in length from 35 to 127 metres long and are between 1 and 2 metres wide. In places the gutters are cut by post-medieval field boundaries, indicating that this system was probably constructed early in the post-medieval period. This system does not appear to have been connected to the farmyard at Shoulsbarrow, suggesting that this was a detached system, which only distributed water to the fields and not liquid manure as fertiliser. Catchwater meadows used a series of approximately parallel gutters to distribute flowing water evenly over the surface of the meadow in order to prevent freezing in winter and encourage early growth in spring, thereby providing extra feed for livestock. Most catchwater meadows are believed to date to the post-medieval period, although it is possible that they were first developed in the medieval period. [1-3] Parts of the post-medieval water meadow described above were transcribed as part of an air photo mapping project on Challacombe and environs. Addtional gutters were mapped suggesting that the meadow was more extensive and included gutters to the north of the farm. [4,5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3143-44 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <3> SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181.
- <4> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. RCHME: Challacombe, West Devon, 20 December 1999.
- <5> SMO7526 Archive: RCHME: Challacombe Project, Devon. AF1301145.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6919 4017 (291m by 489m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466834 (Pastscape entry: 1466834)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE71
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1466834
Record last edited
May 19 2020 2:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.