MMO2004 - Three small quarry pits on South Hill Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Three small quarry pits are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs, on the west facing crest of South Hill Common and Trilly, Countisbury parish, centred on circa SS 7457 4928. The two western pits, both measuring up to 12 metres in diameter, are located on the unenclosed rough gazing of South Hill Common at circa SS 7452 4929 and SS 74574 928. The third, easternmost pit is on land enclosed prior to the publication of the 1st Edition Map of 1889 , probably during the medieval period, at circa SS 7460 4929, and is slightly larger in size at 14 metres maximum diameter. This pit was either incompletely excavated or was reused in the later post-medieval period to contain a clearance cairn. By 1972 the two western pits are obscured by vegetation, the eastern pit levelled by the plough. [1-5]
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20)3146-7 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/902 (F20) 4025-6 (10 October 1952).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 030-031 (15 April 1972).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7456 4928 (97m by 31m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466831 (Original Monarch entry: 1466831)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW208
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1466831
Record last edited
Apr 12 2016 12:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.