MMO2002 - Medieval field boundary on South Hill Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A curvilinear or sinuous field boundary of possible medieval date is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards as a low earthwork bank, climbing the south-west facing slope of South Hill Common, Countisbury parish, for approximately metres from circa SS 7460 4913 to SS 7459 4926. The boundary is not marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889  and was therefore probably abandoned prior to this date, at the latest during the post-medieval period. However, the curvilinear or partly sinuous form of the earthwork, and its possible alignment upon the corners of extant field boundaries, which are probably of medieval origin, may support the interpretation that this field was enclosed during this earlier period. The earthwork is still partly visible on aerial photographs of 1972, but is completely obscured by vegetation by 1995. [1-5]
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20)3146-7 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 030-031 (15 April 1972).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS/95026 052-053 (12 March 1995).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7458 4920 (60m by 131m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466827 (Original Monarch entry: 1466827)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW207
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1466827
Record last edited
Apr 12 2016 12:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.