MMO1988 - 19th Century water meadow north of Kibsworthy Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Evidence for a 19th century water meadow of a type known locally as a catchwork or field-gutter system may be visible on aerial photographs, to the north of Kibsworthy Farm, Lynton and Lynmouth parish, centred on circa SS 71304830. Catchwork systems are usually found on steep combe sides and are designed to irrigate pasture by diverting water from a spring or stream along the valley sides via one or more channels or gutters. When irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of the March and April. The use of a series of parallel gutters to improve the coverage is a common feature of Exmoor systems; single gutter systems such as this are more unusual. Although a channel themselves cannot be seen on the aerial photographs, and has therefore not been transcribed, characteristic flushes of water descending the combe side indicate the presence of a gutter close to the field boundary. The gutter was probably fed by a well immediately to the north, marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map at circa SS 71304837. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 021-22 12-MAR-1995.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. 1-7, 28-9.
- <4> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7131 4828 (20m by 161m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW193
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1466151
Record last edited
May 20 2013 12:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.