MMO1939 - Post-medieval quarry or extractive pit west of Scoresdown Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A small quarry or extractive pit in Brendon parish is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards. The quarry abuts the northern side of a trackway from Shortacombe Wood to Scoresdown Farm and is approximately 20 metres in diameter. The opening of the quarry must predate the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, on which it is marked, but it is probably post-medieval date and not older. [1-2] The quarry is also shown on the 2nd Edition map and the 6" 1962 map. [4,5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3051-2 11-APR-1947.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <5> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7335 4678 (23m by 24m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1465366 (Original Monarch entry: 1465366)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31512
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/186
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21169
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW144
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1465366
Record last edited
Apr 26 2020 9:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.