MMO1906 - Possible medieval settlement earthworks southwest of East Bredwick Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
A number of earthworks are visible on aerial photographs in fields to the south and southwest of East Bredwick Farm. Although aligned differently they are clearly closely associated with a number of extant field boundaries in the area, and are likely to date to the medieval period. At SS 6428 4301, a large rectangular platform is visible, cut by a later bank which is depicted on the modern Ordnance Survey map (MDE20705). This platform measures approximately 74 metres long by 32 metres wide, and may be the remains of a cultivation terrace. At SS 6422 4296, a long slightly curved earthern bank is visible, running approximately southeast to northwest. Although fragmented in several places, the course of the bank can be traced, and it measures approximately 188 metres long. It is overlain by the A39 road, indicating that it predates the construction of this major roadway. At SS 6420 4298, this bank joins an extant boundary running approximately northeast to southwest (MDE20705). This extant boundary is depicted on both the modern and 1st Edition Ordnance Survey maps but appears to have no current function. A third curvilinear bank is visible at SS 6404 4300, running approximately east to west and measuring 97 metres long. A possible track or pathway is visible alongside this bank, but it is not clear if this is a modern feature or otherwise. These banks are most likely to represent medieval field boundaries or enclosures. These features are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map; however, many of the extant boundaries are depicted on both the 1st Edition and modern maps. A number of extant banks and enclosures around East Bredwick Farm show a similar alignment to the features described above, and it seems likely that these earthworks may represent a more intensive phase of settlement at East Bredwick. Further work is required to ascribe a precise date and function to these features. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 6443/12 (18307/28) (27 April 1999).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7725 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2004. 1:10000, 2004. 1:10,000. 1:10000 2004.
- <4>XY SMO7563 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SW. MD002180. [Mapped feature: #42053 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6418 4298 (404m by 181m)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1465036 (Pastscape entry: 1465036)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17959
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SW60
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1465036
Record last edited
Apr 30 2019 9:24AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.