MMO1905 - Medieval field boundary northeast of Bredwick Cottages (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A probable medieval field boundary is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the north east of Bredwick Cottages, Kentisbury. Centred at approximately SS 6452 4326, the bank runs in a southwest to northeast direction for approximately 40 metres before turning 90 degrees and running southeast to northwest for 100 metres. The bank varies in width from 2 to 4 metres, with the shorter section appearing the narrowest. The bank appears to form one corner of a rectangular enclosure, which lies on a similar alignment to extant field boundaries in the area. However, it is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was abandoned prior to the publication date of 1889. [1-4] The boundary is not depicted on the Kentisbury Tithe Map. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3096-97 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 6443/15 (18307/31) (27 April 1999).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4>XY SMO7563 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SW. MD002180. [Mapped feature: #33245 ]
- <5> SEM7937 Map: 1840. Kentisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6448 4327 (92m by 100m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1465028 (Pastscape entry: 1465028)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SW59
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1465028
Record last edited
Apr 30 2019 9:28AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.