MMO1851 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries on Pentley Seat (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Several medieval or post medieval field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks to the south west of Pentley Seat, Luccombe. Centred at SS 8917 4531 four slightly curved banks are visible, forming at least one rectangular field on the south east facing slope of Pentley Seat. The rectangular field, formed by the westernmost banks, measures approximately 70 metres long by 45 metres wide, but as only two sides are visible it may be larger. A possible path or trackway runs alongside the longest of the banks, running approximately east-west at SS 8914 4530 and measuring approximately 160 metres long. This path and the bank it runs parallel to are cut in several places by more modern pathways and tracks. A fragmentary bank at SS 8908 4519 appears to be part of the same system. On the north-east of Pentley Seat, several additional boundaries can be seen on oblique aerial photographs taken in 2008. These boundaries closely resemble those described above, but are less well preserved. Centred at SS 8943 4537, three fragmentary banks are visible, all of which are cut by the modern pathway. The westernmost bank appears to form the corner of an enclosure measuring approximately 73 metres by 90 metres. To the west the bank is further obscured by woodland. These banks may be related to the field system recorded on Ley Hill to the south (see MSO7370), which has been ascribed to the medieval period. They are not depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, showing that they were abandoned prior to the publication of the map in 1889. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70380 204-05 (23 Sep 1970).
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8945/9 (21073/35) (9 Feb 2001).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8945/028 (24928/47) (12 Feb 2008).
- <5> SMO7557 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NE. MD002174.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8916 4525 (231m by 169m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1463425 (Original Monarch entry: 1463425)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE163
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1463425
Record last edited
Jun 26 2013 3:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.