MMO1847 - Medieval field system east of Porlock Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Several probable medieval field boundaries and associated ridge and furrow are visible as earthworks on infra-red photography taken for Exmoor National Park Authority in 1995. Located at SS 8651 4583 on a fairly steep south facing slope to the east of Porlock Common, three low parallel curvilinear banks are visible running approximately east west, measuring between 170 and 220 metres long. To the north of these, at SS 8653 4594 a fourth boundary is visible running north-south for 115 metres. All the banks measure between 1.5 and 3 metres wide. Between the three parallel banks an area of levelled ridge and furrow is visible, following the alignment of the field boundaries. The distance between the rig measures approximately 3.5 metres. The presence of ridge and furrow in such close association with the curvilinear field boundaries suggests a medieval date for this field system. The boundaries are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, and the area is shown as a mixture of open moorland and pasture, suggesting that the boundaries had been abandoned for some time prior to publication of the map in 1889. Similar field patterns have been noted from aerial photography around Bromham Farm to the south west and Lucott Farm to the south. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA Cambridge University Infra REd Photography ZKi-FE 99-100 (1995).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7557 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NE. MD002174. [Mapped feature: #32666 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1463411, Extant 21 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8652 4587 (286m by 294m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1463411 (Original Monarch entry: 1463411)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE159
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1463411
Record last edited
Feb 21 2022 4:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.