MMO1832 - Medieval or post-medieval enclosure east of Road Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A medieval or post-medieval enclosure is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs on the west facing slope above Road Wood. Centred at approximately 6573 4871, two rectilinear enclosures are visible formed by a low narrow bank. The smaller enclosure at SS 6573 4865 measures 21 metres wide by 56 metres long. It connects with the larger enclosure at SS 6573 4868; the larger enclosure measures 118 metres long by 56 metres wide. Both boundaries appear to connect with an existing extant boundary in three places - at SS 6577 4863, SS 6576 4868 and SS 6574 4879. The extant boundary appears to form the eastern side of both enclosures. It seems likely that this enclosure is part of the original field arrangement in the area, which was abandoned or removed at some point in order to create a larger field or grazing area. The enclosure is not depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was abandoned prior to publication in 1889. It is beginning to revert to scrub on the photographs taken in 1946. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4370 (13 May 1946.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #35191 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6573 4871 (92m by 188m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1462935 (Pastscape entry: 1462935)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE120
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1462935
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 12:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.