MMO1830 - Bronze Age hut circle south of Folly Corner (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible hut circle is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs to the east of a previously recorded Bronze Age field system on the south-west spur of Martinhoe Common (MDE11200). Centred at SS 6723 4733, two fragmentary curved banks are visible forming an oval. It measures approximately 16 metres across, with the interior measuring 13 metres across. The bank measures between 3 and 4 metres. Due to the fragmentary nature of the bank it is not clear where the entranceway to the hut circle was, and the circle appears to have been reduced by ploughing. The nearest part of the Bronze Age field system recorded under MDE11200 is 40 metres to the north, and it seems likely that this hut circle was associated with the field system. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 3373 (13 May 1946).
- <2>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #46772 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1462931, Extant 4 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6723 4734 (29m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1462931 (Pastscape entry: 1462931)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE118
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1462931
Record last edited
Nov 4 2021 11:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.