MMO183 - Medieval or post-medieval field enclosure on Almsworthy Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8410 4180. A large low banked enclosure immediately to the northwest of the stone circles on Almsworthy Common was revealed in 1979 by recent swaling. Broad low stone banks, with traces of an outer ditch, form a large, irregular 'D' shaped enclosure, with a short extension of the straight side on the northwest corner. The site is situated on the southwest facing slope of the hill and although not all visible from any one point it is estimated to enclose about 3 hectares.  Centred at SS 8410 4180, on open moorland, is a field bank. It is a predominantly earthen feature, although it contains some stone; it has a flanking ditch. It is 2.6 metres wide and 0.5 metres high and is of medieval or later date, probably representing an attempt to enclose parts of Almsworthy Common.  A large subrectangular or D shaped enclosure of possible medieval date is visible on aerial photographs on the south facing upper slopes of Almsworthy Common, its northwest corner located at approximately SS 8408 4192. The enclosure is defined by linear earthwork banks up to 3 metres wide, enclosing an area of approximately 3.7 hectares. It may be associated with a number of small mounds, possibly clearance cairns. [3-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. (R McDonnell, CRAAGS) Volume 124 (1980), p119.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. WR Wilson-North 16-NOV-1995.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 946-7 (29 April 1973).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3097-3098 (8 November 1952).
- <5>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #32623 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36309, Extant 21 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8414 4179 (230m by 259m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36309 (Pastscape entry: 36309)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6735
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW50
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36309
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33626
Record last edited
Jul 21 2021 8:58AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.