MMO1824 - Possible building remains north of Lee Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a possible building are visible as a series of earthworks to the north of Lee Cottage. Centred at SS 6938 4911 on a natural terrace above Lee Bay, the building is visible as three sides of a low rectangular bank measuring approximately 2 metres wide. The outline of the building measures 14 metres long by 11 metres wide, and is aligned approximately north to south. Within the bank the ground is lower, as if the centre of the building has been dug out. It is difficult to ascertain a precise date and function to this building, but it is possible that it is related to the medieval and post-medieval Abbey Grange and Manor. It is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting that it was abandoned and not visible prior to the publication of the map in 1889. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 022 (15 April 1972).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #35197 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1462923, Extant 4 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6938 4911 (22m by 22m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1462923 (Pastscape entry: 1462923)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE112
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1462923
Record last edited
Mar 1 2022 11:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.