MMO180 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 81474114. Mining trial pit bearing superficial resemblance to a large barrow from a distance. (1) At SS 8147 4114 is an oval hollow 6 m across and 1.1 m deep, with an adjacent spoil mound 1.2 m high on the eastern and southern sides. This feature is clearly part of mining operations in the area, and is best interpreted as a trial shaft. A pronounced trench runs south from the shaft for over 25 m. It is 2.4 m wide and 0.7 m deep. A spoil bank is visible on either side. This site forms one of a number of industrial features in the immediate area (see SS 84 SW 99, 100 and 117), and is probably a 19th century attempt to exploit mineral resources within the former Royal Forest. The remains of the possible trial shaft and prospecting trench are visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, largely as described by the above authority, as earthworks centred on circa SS 81484113. However, the probable prospecting trench is longer than described above, being visible for over 50 metres to the south of the trial pit, which itself measures approximately 9 metres north to south and 7 metres east to west. The earthworks have been transcribed as part of the Exmoor National Mapping programme. (3)
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 3069-70 13-MAY-1946.
- --- SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GHP 23-JUL-65.
- --- SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. 13-DEC-1995 RCHME Field Investigation.
- --- SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8148 4110 (22m by 81m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36290 (Pastscape entry: 36290)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36290
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33101
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 10:37AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.