MMO179 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 80334274. A possibly 19th century sheepfold comprising a sub-oval bank upto 1.8m high with a west entrance. Situated on the valley floor. (1-2) (SS 80334274) Sheep Pen (NAT) (3) For details see county SMR. (4) A sheepfold, probably of 19th century date, centred at SS 8033 4274. It lies close to the junction of two valleys, in a sheltered location on the valley floor. Its precise position is dictated by a mound of natural material or morraine, which the sheepfold encircles. The sheepfold comprises a sub-oval enclosure measuring 35.8 m north-south by 28 m west-east. It is defined by a well-preserved, stone-faced bank 2.3 m wide and 1.2 m high. There are traces of a quarry/drainage ditch on either side of the bank. The entrance, which is 1.5 m wide, is defined by well-made terminals of the enclosing bank. The interior of the sheepfold is featureless, but is dominated by the natural knoll, which presumably afforded additional shelter for livestock. (5) An oval sheepfold, probably of 19th century date is intermittently visible on aerial photographs from the 1950s onwards, but is largely obscured from view by vegetation. The fold is defined by a bank up to three metres wide, enclosing an area of approximately 690 square metres. It has been transcribed as part of the Exmoor National Mapping programme. (6)
- --- SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8042/5 (DAP 6809/QP/02) 26-MAR-1990.
- --- SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Somerset C.C. SMR 29-Sep-1986..
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 1:10000 1985.
- --- SMO7090 Aerial photograph: FLETCHER, MJF. Aerial photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 3109 8-NOV-1952.
- --- SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. F1 MJF 03-FEB-75.
- --- SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. 15-DEC-1995 RCHME Field Investigation.
- --- SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8033 4274 (32m by 41m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36287 (Pastscape entry: 36287)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO6866
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36287
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33121
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 10:37AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.