MMO1785 - Medieval routeway crossing Countisbury Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A hollow way or trackway of possible medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork crossing Countisbury Common, at circa SS 7552 4991. This part of Countisbury Common is crossed by numerous trackways, many of which are marked on the Ordnance Survey 1:10560 1st Edition map of 1891, and are therefore no later than late 19th Century in date. For approximately 70 metres this earthwork can be seen running alongside such a trackway, but at SS 7548 4989 it diverges to the northeast for roughly 180 metres. Towards its northeastern end it is crossed by a very straight, probably 19th Century track. The relatively broad and irregular nature of this route may support the suggestion that it was in use for a considerable period of time. Its sinuous and curvilinear course is similar to that of the extant, but possibly medieval in origin enclosed fields to the east, which it originally may have met and been associated. It is still visible on aerial photographs of 1995 and on the images provided on Google Earth at the time of survey, although these may change at a later date. [1-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 (F20) 3008-9 (17 October 1952).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 083-4 (12 March 1995).
- <3> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <4> SMO7337 Website: HEGARTY. World Wide Web page. http://earth.google.com/.
- <5> SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7554 4991 (290m by 54m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461732 (Pastscape entry: 1461732)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA149665 (National Trust HER entry: MNA149665)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE131
- National Trust HER Record: MNA149665
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1461732
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.