MMO1779 - Post-medieval trackway across Trentishoe Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Irregular linear bands and depressions showing course of former trackway running east to west and north across Trentishoe Down. Runs from approximately SS 6258 4750 to SS 6360 4793. It shows clearly on aerial photographs taken in 1978 and 1946. [1-3] The site was visited by McDonnell in 1985, when the feature was said to be as described above.  The site was visited again by Goodwin in 1994 and was said to be in stable condition.  A trackway or roadway of probable post medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as a number of earthworks running across Trentishoe Down. Beginning at the western side of Trentishoe Down, at approximately SS 6285 4747, the linear banks and depressions run west to east for approximately 700 metres. At SS 6347 4764, the earthworks curve around to the north, following the contours of Trentishoe Down, and continue north for approximately 300 metres. At the eastern end, the roadway appears to be turning again towards the east, but fades after a few metres. The extent of the earthworks varies in width from 20 to 28 metres. The roadway is not shown on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, suggesting it predates them but had gone out of use by the time these maps were published. It may be associated with the enclosure attempt of Holdstone Down in the 1870s. [6-9] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655.3183 (July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/2654 (July 1978).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6247f, SS6347b.
- <4>XY SEM6970 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1986. Archaeological survey on Exmoor 1985/86: Trentishoe Down; a summary report. Site 293, visited 18 December 1985. [Mapped feature: #42734 293]
- <5> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. NT Archaeological site monitoring report, 1994.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72123 230-31 (14 April 1972).
- <7> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <8> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <9> SMO7554 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 NW. MD002171.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1461640, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6309 4764 (1054m by 532m) Enhanced with Exmoor NMP data|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461640 (Original Monarch entry: 1461640)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17910
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/28
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20524
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW84
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1461640
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 9:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.