MMO1774 - Bronze Age hut circle north of Trentishoe Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A possible Bronze Age hut circle is visible on aerial photographs as a slight earthwork above the cliffs to the north of Trentishoe Down. Centred at SS 6285 4821, the hut circle consists of a slight earth ovoid-shaped bank enclosing a hollow and measuring 13 metres across. The interior of the bank measures 11 metres. The feature is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. There are two other well-preserved hut circles of a similar construction 200 metres upslope to the southwest (see MMO1774). [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 051-52 (15 April 1972).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SMO7554 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 NW. MD002171.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1461616, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6285 4821 (15m by 15m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461616 (Original Monarch entry: 1461616)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW80
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1461616
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 8:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.