MMO1763 - Post-medieval field system northeast of Holdstone Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Several post-medieval field boundaries are visible as a series of earthworks in a field to the northeast of Holdstone Farm. Centred at approximately SS 6162 4733, 3 linear banks are visible forming the corners of two rectangular fields measuring 115 metres by 123 metres, and 110 metres by 90 metres. They are aligned in the same pattern as other extant fields in the area, dividing an extant field into three smaller enclosures. They are not depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map, and probably relate to the enclosure of Holdstone Down in the 19th Century. It is likely they were removed sooner after construction in order to create a larger field. Comparison with the Inclosure Map and Apportionment for Combe Martin should reveal whether these field are related to this phase of enclosure. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4425 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SMO7554 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 NW. MD002171.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1461474, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6162 4733 (285m by 260m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461474 (Original Monarch entry: 1461474)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW75
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1461474
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 8:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.