MMO1742 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundary east of Coulsworthy Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a possible medieval or post-medieval field boundary are visible on aerial photographs to the west of Coulsworthy Lane. Very little of the earthwork has survived, and it consists of a small bank, centred at SS 6211 4530 running southwest to northeast and measuring 30 metres long. It appears to be similar in size and form to extant boundaries in the area, although it follows a different alignment. It is most likely to have been removed in the medieval or post-medieval periods to create a larger field. The boundary is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it had gone out of use by the time of publication. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4142-44 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7554 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 NW. MD002171. [Mapped feature: #38711 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1461404, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6211 4531 (35m by 41m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461404 (Pastscape entry: 1461404)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW62
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1461404
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 5:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.