MMO1740 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundary east of Coulsworthy Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible medieval or post-medieval field boundary is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the east of Coulsworthy Lane. Centred at SS 6222 4513, the boundary measures approximately 109 metres long and runs east to west. It is similar to extant field boundaries in the area in size and form, but appears to follow a different alignment. It may also be related to other earthwork boundaries visible in the area and most likely represent a medieval or post-medieval field boundary which was removed to create a larger field. It is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it had gone out of use by this point. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4142-44 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7554 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 NW. MD002171. [Mapped feature: #38712 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1461401, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6222 4513 (120m by 41m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461401 (Pastscape entry: 1461401)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW61
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1461401
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 5:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.