MMO1732 - Post-medieval water meadow northwest of Higher Cowley Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks to the northwest of Higher Cowley Farm. Centred at SS 6361 4526, at least four ditches are visible stretching across a single steep northeast facing field. They range in length from approximately between 120 to 200 metres. Immediately to the north of this system is a wooded area marked "Cowley Meadow Wood" on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition, which suggests that this field was in use as a water meadow prior to the publication of the map. The roughly parallel gutters were used to distribute flowing water over the surface of the meadow in order to encourage early growth in spring and prevent freezing in winter. This system appears to be connected to the farmyard at Higher Cowley, suggesting that this was an integrated system, which also distributed liquid manure across the fields as fertiliser. The gutters were probably fed by a spring to the north east of Higher Cowley at SS 6373 4522, and drained into Dean Water to the west. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 3303 (14 May 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <4>XY SMO7554 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 NW. MD002171. [Mapped feature: #33292 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6355 4525 (288m by 167m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461380 (Pastscape entry: 1461380)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW53
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1461380
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 11:00AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.