MMO1717 - Possible prehistoric remains on Scob Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
McDonnell notes low banks forming two possible hut circles and other less definable features in this location on aerial photographs dating to 1947. [1,2] A possible clearance cairn or small round barrow of Bronze Age date is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s as an earthwork mound approximately 10 metres in diameter, centred on circa SS 7505 4670 Brendon parish. The mound is at an elevation of approximately 355 metres above Ordnance Datum, and might be situated on a false crest towards the summit of Scob Hill. It has previously been interpreted as a possible hut circle. The earthwork has been levelled by 1995. [3,4]
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7546d.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK 1980.3047 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAFCPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3047-8 11-APR-1947.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 079-80 12-MAR-1995.
- <5> SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7505 4670 (14m by 14m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461301 (Original Monarch entry: 1461301)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18113
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/534
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20762
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1461301
Record last edited
Jul 22 2013 3:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.