MMO1711 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible mound of unknown date and function is visible on aerial photographs as a sub-circular earthwork, located at circa SS 76414608, at the head of a small combe on Shilstone Hill, Brendon parish. The possible mound is slightly over 20 metres in diameter. It appears to be approached from the enclosed field system 170 metres to the north by a sinuous track or path that runs along the course of the dry combe. The function of the mound is unclear but it may be the remains of a large clearance cairn of post-medieval date.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 093-4 21-MAR-1995.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAFCPE/1980 3045-6 (F20) 11-APR-1947.
- --- SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7641 4608 (32m by 32m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461263 (Pastscape entry: 1461263)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1461263
Record last edited
Oct 28 2009 11:09AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.