MMO1709 - Post-medieval or modern peat cutting south of Farmcombe Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Possible evidence of peat cutting can be seen as earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1940s, on Cloud Allotment, Oare parish, centred on circa SS 79944674. The peat cuttings, subrectangular pits up to 16 metres wide, are probably post-medieval or early 20th Century in date. By 1995 they have been filled and levelled, probably by ploughing following the post-war enclosure of Cloud Allotment. [1-3] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 3352 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 125-6 (21 May 1995).
- <3>XY SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168. [Mapped features: #46865 ; #46866 ]
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1461261, Extant 8 December 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7990 4674 (111m by 37m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461261 (Pastscape entry: 1461261)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE95
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1461261
Record last edited
Apr 25 2022 10:15AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.