MMO1705 - 19th Century water meadow along Badgeworthy Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A catchwork water meadow carriage channel, also known locally as a gutter or a headmain, is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork running south to north along the eastern side of Badgeworthy Water combe, Oare parish, for over 2 kilometres, centred on circa SS 7979 4615. The gutter is fed from a stream, the source of which is a spring on Stowey Allotment to the southeast. As it travels northwards the channel descends between 320 and 310 metres above Odnance Datum, until it meets Farm Combe at circa SS 799 468. Subsidiary catch drains are visible on the lower slopes at circa SS 795 464. The headmain is marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890 but the subsidiary catch drains are not, and the whole water meadow complex is probably of 19th Century date. As part of post Second World War agricultural enclosure and improvements the headmain has been partly ploughed out by 1995. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 125-126 (12 March 1995).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK1501 (F20) 3327-8, 3352-3 (13 May 1946).
- <3> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1846-1899. County Series; 1st Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <4>XY SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168. [Mapped feature: #33108 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1461247, Extant 7 December 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7979 4614 (602m by 1843m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461247 (Pastscape entry: 1461247)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE91
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1461247
Record last edited
Apr 25 2022 10:15AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.