MMO1701 - 20th Century ditches on Brendon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two parallel linear features of unknown function but of probable modern date can be seen on aerial photographs of 1972 onwards as possible ditches, centred on circa SS 7823 4594, Brendon parish. The ditches are very narrow, 1 metre or less wide, but maintain a distance between them of roughly 10 metres as they run on a curved route for approximately 1100 metres from circa SS 7768 4572, at the northern slope of Lank Combe, to SS 7859 4636 near the summit of Malmsmead Hill. These features are not visible on aerial photographs of 1952 or earlier and therefore are probably modern in date. They are clearly visible on aerial photographs of 1995 and remain visible on the latest available imagery on Google Earth. However the data of this image is unknown and the images used may change. [1-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 (F20) 4104-5 (17 October 1952).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 200-202 (15 April 1972).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 113-115 (12 March 1995).
- <4> SEM7654 Website: Various. Google Earth.
- <5>XY SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168. [Mapped feature: #33111 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7814 4604 (945m by 670m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461144 (Pastscape entry: 1461144)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE87
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1461144
Record last edited
Jan 5 2021 4:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.