MMO1676 - Post-medieval field boundary on Old Hay Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A substantial field boundary, possibly a wall, is visible on aerial photographs from the 1940s connecting two post-medieval field boundaries shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. Centred at SS 8117 4509 the boundary runs east-west for approximately 940 metres, connecting two boundaries shown on the 1st Edition and modern Ordnance Survey maps at SS 8070 4512 to the west (Stowey Allotment) and SS 8162 4510 to the east (Black Hill). It is similar in form and structure to both of the existing boundaries, and may have been constructed at the same time but had gone out of use prior to the publication of the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The boundaries are also similar to those laid out to the south in SS 84 SW as part of the Enclosure of Exmoor Royal Forest by the Knight family in the mid 19th Century, and are perhaps associated with them. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4065 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. p 10-16.
- <4>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #32642 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8111 4512 (1064m by 285m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460834 (Original Monarch entry: 1460834)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW114
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460834
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 9:06AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.