MMO1674 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundary east of Oldhay Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a medieval or post-medieval field boundary is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs to the east of Oldhay Ridge. Located at SS 8137 4503, the boundary runs southeast to northwest up a steep slope for approximately 45 metres and measures between 2 and 3 metres wide. It is similar in size and form to other extant boundaries noted in the area, and may have formed part of the original enclosure of this area which was later abandoned. It is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 202 (17 April 2007).
- <2> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #32644 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8137 4504 (37m by 34m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460815 (Original Monarch entry: 1460815)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW112
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460815
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 9:09AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.