MMO1670 - Post-medieval field bank south of Oareford Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post-medieval field boundary is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the south of Oareford Farm. Centred at SS 8110 4627, it measures approximately 100 metres long by 3 metres wide, and divides a field into two smaller enclosures. It is similar in size and form to extant boundaries in the area, and was likely to be a disused part of the 19th Century Enclosure in this area, removed to create a larger field. The boundary is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it had passed out of use by the time of publication. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3037 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #32648 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8110 4627 (113m by 45m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460781 (Original Monarch entry: 1460781)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW108
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460781
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 9:15AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.