MMO1665 - Medieval or post-medieval field banks southeast of Kemps Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Several medieval or post-medieval banks are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs to the east of the settlement known as Kemps. Three banks are visible, centred on approximately SS 8059 4693. The westernmost bank at approximately SS 8054 4693 forms a rectangular enclosure with the corner of extant field boundaries, measuring approximately 118 metres across, which may be a stock enclosure or sheepfold. Approximately 50 metres to the east, at SS 8061 4688 a second bank runs approximately north-south for 170 metres across a north facing slope, and passes underneath an extant boundary. The easternmost boundary at SS 8069 4689 follows a similar course but for only 100 metres. They appear to be the remains of a field system which predates the existing extant fields, but are not depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map. The two eastern banks have a similar alignment and pattern to the water meadow system ditches visible to the north (see MMO1652) and may be associated with them. [1-3] The Tithe Map for Oare parish shows the mapped area divided into four land parcels but with a dotted division line rather than a solid one. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 541/544 3025 (1 June 1950).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #42081 ]
- <4> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8058 4692 (295m by 223m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460705 (Pastscape entry: 1460705)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW103
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460705
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 9:39AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.