MMO1664 - Possible Bronze Age round barrow on North Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A circular mound is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs on the summit of North Common. Centred at SS 81730 47037 the mound measures approximately 20 metres in diameter, but it is not possible to ascertain the height of the mound from aerial photographs. The mound is located at 380 metres above Ordnance Datum on the highest point of North Common. It is possibly the remains of a Bronze Age round barrow, but is heavily obscured by vegetation. The area is shown as open moorland on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, and it is probable that this area has not been subjected to agricultural improvement. Further study is required to establish the precise date and level of preservation of this monument. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 3113 (17 October 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #46962 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8173 4703 (24m by 23m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460703 (Pastscape entry: 1460703)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460703
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 9:42AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.