MMO1663 - Post-medieval quarry southeast of Beggar's Knap (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small post-medieval quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the southeast of Beggar's Knap. The quarry, which is centred at approximately SS 8271 4679 cut into the east facing slope of Beggar's Knap, measures approximately 27 metres in diameter. It is shown, but not annotated on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, under extensive tree cover, suggesting that the quarry was out of use by the time of publication. There are several other quarries in the area, and may have been used to provide stone for the construction of the nearby road or path during the early 19th Century. [1-3] A semi circular quarry with spoil heap to the east, on the west side of Metcombe, transcribed from aerial photographs. [4-6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 3116 (17 October 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #46119 ]
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3034 (April 1947).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/71-178 83/9298 (September 1971).
- <6> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8246D.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8272 4679 (85m by 53m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460696 (Pastscape entry: 1460696)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW101
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460696
Record last edited
May 29 2019 1:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.